Re: [OM] Ponderings about Full Synchro Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Ponderings about Full Synchro Flash
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:37:42 +0100
Tim Hughes wrote twice:

: What GN's do they quote for the FP mode for the 5400HS and what is the angle
: of coverage of the flash?

And Emil Pozar answered:

: That Minolta 5400 series flashes (i/xi/HS) are only GN40 or so at 50 mm
: setting, even less at 35 mm. Just a bit more than the F280 I think.

Hmm, I didn't know that - I just consulted a photo equipment book that contained
only global data. Obviously I don't have the flash.
The Minolta site in Europe
 http://www.minoltaeurope.com/minolta/products/slr/dynax/flash.html ) doesn't
provide much info either.
Most manufacturers of flashes with built-in zoom heads give their GN's for the
50mm position, so they cheat a little; it would be more honest to use the
unamplified wie-angle setting. So Minolta cheats a lot, using the GN at the tele
zoom setting (105 mm)?

In that case the flash has exactly the same power as the F280 but just adds a
very
efficient zoom head to it. Probably comparable to the GN's of the Metz 40 MZ-2
and
MZ-3 (which can be seen on the panel by setting it to manual, 100 ASA, F1):

24mm - 27m.
28mm - 31m.
35mm - 34m.
50mm - 40m.
70mm - 44m.
85mm - 46m.
105mm - 50m. (40 MZ-3 only)

I agree with Tim, in his GN rant, that the T32 is a very powerful flash but with
an unefficient oldfashioned separate zoom head (50mm~135mm):

24mm - 32m.
28mm - 32m.
35mm - 32m.
50mm - 36m.
75mm - 38m.
100mm - 40m.
135mm - 42m.

Duh! If the T32 had a modern built-in zoom head it would probably reach a GN of
60m at 135mm...

: If they use a vertical shutter on the camera I would
: actually expect the GN to be greater than twice the OM for the FP mode.

Well now that we know that its power is comparable to the F280, it won't be
twice.
But yes, the FP Guide number also depends on the curtain speed. The OM-707 has a
vertical shutter with an x-synch time of 1/100 sec. The Dynax cameras have a
shutter that is faster (synched at 1/200 sec; the Dynax 9 even at 1/300 sec).

What this does to the GN can be seen in the specs of the F280:

speed - OM-707 - OM-4Ti

1/2000 - 3.1 - 2.6
1/1000 - 4.3 - 3.7
1/500 - 6.2 - 5.2
1/250 - 8.8 - 7.3
1/125 - 12.4 - 10.4
1/100 - 15.6 - N/A
1/60 - N/A - 14.7

So a shutter which is 1.6x faster gives a GN improvement of 1.2x. So all we need
is an OM-5Ti with a vertical shutter synched at 1/300 and an F280N with a modern
built-in zoom head. To quote Olympus again, "unfortunately this is a great
idea".
:-0

H@nz