[OM] Re: 50/3.5 for portraits

Subject: [OM] Re: 50/3.5 for portraits
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:43:10 -0500 (EST)
Cc: olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Well, if you're taking insect portraits it may not be a bad choice, but
>for people the 50/3.5 would be about the last lens I would choose for
>those purposes (apart from my wide angles). Why? 1-I don't like to take
>portraits with the 50mm focal length (just a personal preference); 2-Th
>50/3.5 reportedly has terrible bokeh -> a real portrait killer...

The supposedly terrible bokeh on the 50/3.5 only manifests at great
distances:  ie. seriously out of focus.  The closer out-of-focus
characteristics are wonderful (which is what matters in
portraiture).  I happen to like ultra-close 50mm portraits, but I have a
somewhat funky disposition...

Doug Cooper