[OM] rangefinders vs. OM

Subject: [OM] rangefinders vs. OM
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 03:11:34 -0800 (PST)
==============================
>The reason to be interested in a Leica is if you want something to do
>types of photography for which a rangefinder is superior to an SLR,
>and want interchangeable lenses.

I'm not even sure that's enough to make me want the Leica.
I would look seriously at the Contax G2

Optically, the Contax outpeforms the Leica at virtually every focal length
==============================

Still they are different cameras.  the performance of a Leica rangefinder
is certainly well above the threshold where you would be concerned about
performance.  the leica M series has a far wider range of lenses available
compared to a contax G2.  there is no 90/2, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 75/1.4, or 135mm
of any aperture for the G2.  If you want a camera for reportage,
photojournalism, or documentary photograpy, it is hard to beat a Leica M.
An OM-4T and Tamron 35-105/2.8 would probably be my choice for this
type of work though.

i haven't handled a G2, but the original Contax G had a viewfinder that I
found unacceptable.

konica has a new Hexar RF, rangefinder camera with 1/125 flash sync,
and Leica M mount. Spendier than I had hoped, but the 50/2 Hexanon
in this mount is only $320 new.

Joseph