[OM] Greenish viewfinder image - is this unusual?

Subject: [OM] Greenish viewfinder image - is this unusual?
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:05:08 -0500
>I've recently acquired an OM-PC which is very nice in every respect, except
>that the viewfinder image has a definite greenish cast. [SNIP]>
>Has anyone encountered this phenomenon in the OM-PC or other SLRs? Is it an
>aging thing? (the camera, not my eyes!) I wonder if replacing the mirror
>with a new one from Olympus would be a practical DIY project.
>
>Thanks,
>Chip Stratton
Chip,
My OM-PC doesn't have a greenish cast.  It's no different than any of
the several other bodies I have.  I think it's very unlikely that your
mirror is defective or somehow different from other mirrors.  It seems
to me that the most likely cause of the greenish cast is some residue on
the mirror from a prior cleaning with something that did not come off
very well.  I would start by critically examining the mirror from the
front of the camera under very good daylight.  If it looks like there's
some sort of haze there you might want to try cleaning it... a lot
easier than replacing it.

In Thomas Tomosy's books on Camera Maintenance & Repair he suggests,
first of all, NEVER clean the mirror if you don't really have to.  But,
if you have to, he recommends (as for lenses) using ordinary facial
tissue folded into a small wiping pad.  First, gently brush off any
loose dust.  Don't blow air around in the mirror box lest you get dust
inside the rest of the viewfinder.  Hold the pad in tweezers and moisten
the pad with ordinary Windex glass cleaner.  Change the pad frequently.
On the last pass use a dry pad but breathe on the mirror to cover it
with a moisture film.  Never wipe when both mirror and pad are dry.  If
the mirror or lens has an oily film or heavy fingerprints Tomosy's
recommendation is to make the first pass using lighter fluid before
switching to the Windex.

>From past posts by John H. on this subject it may require many passes
until the mirror is really clean.  Good luck.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA