Re: [OM] OM-2S and reciprocity failure

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S and reciprocity failure
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:51:33 EST
 wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Where is this board located in the OM2n? is it in the bottom of the
 camera, under the cover plate? If so, I need to clean mine, since it
 had a thin film of oil on it. >>

I would probably not clean it unless I was having problems or it was really
bad.

If you do decide to clean it you need to get a professional electronics
degreaser formulated to leave low residues. I definitely would not use
alcohol it may make things worse.  Freon and TFE solvents, long the mianstay
of electrronics cleaners would be good,but many have now been banned. There
are a number of companies that specialize in electroncis cleaners etc. Miller
Stephens is one I think, Chemtronics is another. Some of them come with small
applicator brushes that the solvent flows down the middle from the presurised
can. If you are in CA, Fry's Electronics carries a range. Try to get one that
is not water based. Cleaners that are just designed for cleaning solder flux
residues from circuit boards are not good enough for this application.

The most critical board areas to clean are all the leads/ traces going to the
silicon photocells. If they do not use teflon standoffs or ceramic insulators
then the board will probably have guard rings (or a ground plane) on both the
top and bottom surface around all critical traces. I have never had to repair
this so I am guessing. Make sure to ground yourself to the camera chassis
before touching anything on the board.

The board is attached to the photocells in the camera base.

Good Luck,

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx