Re: [OM] Operating the OM2 when "Off"

Subject: Re: [OM] Operating the OM2 when "Off"
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 04:29:39 EST
            A number of people responded to my original post about modifying
the behaviour of the OM2 when used (in auto) in the power off switch
position.

    Chip Stratton, John Hermanson and others commented that of course the
OM2N has a maximum timing that is much less dependent on ASA than the OM2.
Essentially this same issue has been discussed ad nauseum in connection with
the OM2 versus OM2N maximum exposure times on normal auto. The variation with
ASA is of course even more reason to modify the OM2 to allow at least a
minimum "reasonable" time for use in off mode. Thinking more about this ,if
the timing is limited to about 1/60 at 100ASA then at 400ASA which is the
limit of what I routinely shoot, the exposure is limited to an even more
restrictive 1/250.

    Some people felt I should not be handholding anything under 1/60 anyway
and I would be better off having a sharp but underexposed picture. Since I
routinely handhold moderate teles with a pistol grip under 1/60 (with
excellent results) this is not what I wanted to hear !  In any case my
standard "normal lens" is a  24mm which is easy to handhold below 1/60.

    Keith Berry felt that it was a great battery saving feature that he often
used to save batteries. In a sense this was my thought. As a teenager my
first 35mm camera was completely manual and I used to guess exposures, thus
not seeing the exact exposure does not feel foreign to me. I also often use
my OM2S in this way when rock climbing, when I only have one hand to
photograph with.  Interestingly, I never use the program mode when using this
more point and shoot style.

    Charles Loeven felt that I must be an "insatiable tinkerer" ; True, but I
only modify my camera gear if I really think I will use it that way.
Charles also commented " I never understood the issue of forgeting to turn on
the camera. "
To put this in perspective I was just recently using my OM2 for the best part
of a week, shooting mostly in street style carrying the camera with a pistol
grip and taking quick candid photographs of the students I was chaperoning.
My OM2S needs foam seal replacement so I had switched to using the OM2. (also
added benefit : faster shutter release than the 2S)  Not wanting to leave it
on all day I took many shots  with the switch Off mostly because of the
"capture the moment" mode of usage. If I had been using the OM2S I could have
relied on the exposure being correct even at the end of the day as the llight
was fading. My week of not feeling I would always get reliable exposures is
the reason I posted the question for discussion.

Many thanks for all the thoughtful comments,

Regards,

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx