Re: [OM] how to avoid drop shadow in close-up flash photos?

Subject: Re: [OM] how to avoid drop shadow in close-up flash photos?
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:43:25 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 Robinsnes@xxxxxxx wrote:

:Place the flash approximately ten inches above the lens, directly over the
:lens. The shadow will then fall behind the subject. When the flash is
:directly to one side or the other, it will cast shadows to the side. The
:softer the light, the less sharp and distinct the edges of the shadow will
:be. Reflectors will not help, but a flash behind the subject lighting the
:backdrop or wall will also eliminate the shadow. Another trick is to move the
:subject away from the backdrop so that the shadow falls outside the range of
:the lens.

10"? Whoa, right now, the T32 (if I use it) sits on Shoe 4 on top the
OM1n... I rarely use it, and even more rarely this close.
The "move person away from backdrop" sounds like it'll solve the problem.
Thanks.

:Good luck...learn to use a flash on manual...it will save you much grief in
:the long run as well as teaching you something about light.

I much prefer natural light, so it'll be some time before I go flashing
again (no pun--sorry <G>).

/AV
--
webpage under re-organization; "We apologize for the inconvenience" -Adams