Re: [OM] OM-1 meter + light leaks?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 meter + light leaks?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:41:23 +0000
At 18:47 11/29/99 , Paul Schings wrote:
>In a message dated 11/29/99 1:40:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>> I was shooting in bright sunlight yesterday, and I noticed that the
>>  meter needle would change a lot based on whether I shaded my face or
>>  not while looking through the viewfinder. I assume this is at least
>>  from the reflection into the viewfinder from my glasses. Will an eyecup
>>  fix this problem? It was a real hassle trying to hold my hand over the
>
>Yes I have, and yes an eyecup helps. I've even seen this problem with my OM-4
>and OM-2S, but too a lesser extent.

My OM-10 has the same problem if there is a bright light source behind me
or on my right shoulder (I use my right eye) . . . I wear glasses too.  An
eyecup or using a hand to shade the viewfinder like an eyecup helps.  With
the OM-10 the exposure actually used is what gets measured just after the
mirror goes up.  The OM-4 doesn't exhibit this problem . . . probably
because of where the meter sensor is and its adjustable diopter viewfinder
which allows using it without glasses.

I don't think this phenomenon occurs with only some of the earlier OM's.  A
friend's C*n*n AE-1P that I tested for him a year ago did the same thing.

-- John