RE: [OM] coatings

Subject: RE: [OM] coatings
From: "Ángel Lobo" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:51:39 +0100
Hi Foxy, Lou and all.

----------
Foxy, concerning the coating you write:

> If it is a silver ringed front, it is single coated. If it is F.Zuiko
Auto-T
> (or some other letter befor the Zuiko) it is single coated. If it has the
> letters MC, it is multicoated. If it has none of these, it is
multicoated.

You forget that some lenses with silver rim and with some letter before
Zuiko are multi-coated. ( 24mm J Zuiko f 2,  35 mm H Zuiko f 2, ...)

> Silver ring was an early lens. My 200 f5 is silver ringed.

> Think back to old photos that you like. Say WW2 era. No coating at all
> generally. I have single coated and multicoated lenses. The only time I
> notice a difference is when I shoot into the sun with no lens hood. Then
I'm
> after the glare effect.

WW2 era ?   Are you talking about colour or B & W pictures ?

Usually, Do you use colour prints or slide film ?

Have you check your 200 f 5 "F Zuiko" (sc) vs 200 f 5  "Zuiko MC" (mc) on a
sunny landscape  with your camera and lens on the shadow, with slide film ?
(I´m not talking about the effect of the sun over the front of the lens,
I´m talking about the quality of the colour, the contrast, etc, etc.).

> I'm ready to be burned as a heretic here, but the whole multi vs single
> coating thing is over rated. As John Shaw says, with average gear and
good
> technique you can take great photos. With great gear and poor technique
you
> take bad ones.

I don´t know John Shaw, but I think this statement of the matter is not
right, because we all on the Oly List try a good technique with an
excellent (OLY) gear.

> Foxy

 ¡ The coating matter goes on !

Ángel Lobo.