Re: [OM] coatings

Subject: Re: [OM] coatings
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:04:07 -0600
------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:07:21 -0500
From: "Lou Riina" <lriina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] coatings

>I am close to a purchase of a 100mm F/2.8 lens from a vender. I am unclear
on the subject of coatings on these lenses. He states that the lenses are
not marked as MC or multicoated and that he has never seen this lens marked
MC.<

Not true;  I owned a Zuiko MC 100mm 2.8 that was, indeed, marked "MC".  I
suspect that this lens, like others late in lens production, had the "MC"
removed from the lens trim ring later in its production life.

> I was under the impression that the earlier versions of the lens were SC
and that the more recent, improved lens was MC.<

I have trouble convincing myself that multi-coating is visibly beneficial in a
five-element lens like these simple telephotos.  I don't think the changeover to
MC necessarily correlates to lens formula changes.

> He states that discussions
he had with Olympus indicated that lenses were only coated to compensate for
flaws during their manufacture? <

HUH???  That's a little bit hard to believe, to say the least.

> He states that he has several of these
lenses in 9+ condition and the older models are the ones that have a silver
outer ring. None are marked as MC. Asking price $149. Thoughts/comments? <

If the lens trim ring says "F. Zuiko" it's single-coated.  If it says "Zuiko MC"
or just "Zuiko" it's probably multi-coated, and should exhibit a greenish and/or
magenta-ish tint to the coatings.

His price seems to be in line with other dealer prices for this lens.  Maybe a
bit high for a single-coated version, though.