Re: [OM] Cold batteries & OMs

Subject: Re: [OM] Cold batteries & OMs
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:44:14 +0000

From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>

At 23:57 11/22/99 , Bob Sull wrote:
>Dave Bulger wrote:
>My experiences in Northern Ohio in January and February with my OM-1 and
>2 were that the batteries worked fine way below the 25F you are talking
>about.  IMHO you will have no problems.  I never had any here.

Ditto in Indiana and northern Pennsylvania (near Erie).  Used the OM-4 in
su*b-zero (F) at night on several occasions.  No problem metering.  Always
kept it inside the parka next to my body when not in use (at least use a
lens cap if you do this).  Ensure you are using *fresh* (new) batteries.
Severe cold will shorten their lives.  I've had them poop out sooner, but
never *freeze*.  Of course you would never leave home without an extra set
of new batteries for each camera <g>.

One other thing to watch for . . . condensation if you go from sub-freezing
into a warm environment suddenly.  I lens cap and case (or camera bag) the
camera before going indoors from subfreezing weather.  This allows it to
warm more slowly and prevents condensation.  For those on the other side of
the equator:  same thing can happen going from cool indoor A/C to high temp
and humidity outdoors in Summer.

-- John