Re: [OM] Cold batteries & OMs

Subject: Re: [OM] Cold batteries & OMs
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:43:19 EST
In a message dated 11/22/99 9:10:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I've been considering the -4 as the main metering & shooting camera.  This
>  issue is whether I've got time to play with it enough prior to departure.
>   I'm reluctant to shoot stuff with a body I haven't had in my hands (and
>  my eye) for hours & hours.  Granted, the meter's better & smarter than the
>  one in the -2s, but I *know* the -2s meter very well.

I would go with what you are familiar with. But you want to learn the OM-4's
meter as soon as you can. You won't regret it.

>  I've got to get the
>  bodies (-1 & -4) into the shop & have meters recalibrated (Beattie
>  screens), then burn up some film getting to know the -4 camera & meter
>  better than I do now.

The OM-4 doesn't need a meter recalibration with a different screen. It uses
the submirror behind the main mirror to reflect light to the cell in the
mirror box floor. The OM-1 does meter off the screen, and will need to be
recalibrated.

>  Am I correct in thinking that the -4 is going to produce less bounce from
>  the shutter than the -2s?  I use the self timer & a tripod on
_everything_.
>   With aperture prefire & mirror lockup on both bodies, the only thing
>  (other than the operator) to blame lack of sharpness on is the shutter.
>   With the -2s's shutter (schwoop-whack-CLICK-Click-click) it _can't_ be
too
>  stable.  Sexy, yes, but not stable.

I have both a -2S and a -4, and the -4 does seem more stable. I assume it is
the extra linkage to support the aperture linkage for program mode.

>  Hell, if my -1n had aperture prefire, I'd shoot with it and meter with the
>  -4!  I LOVE my OM-1n.  This body is probably single-handedly responsible
>  for my Zuikoholism.  Regarding the listee trying to decide between a -1n
>  and a ME Super, take THAT as an endorsement.

Paul Schings