Re: [OM] first experience with E6 (what's type R?), including Leonids :)

Subject: Re: [OM] first experience with E6 (what's type R?), including Leonids :)
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:25:02 +1100
Acer wrote

> ..., I asked if a Cibachrome could be made. Nope,

I can't get them done any more either, here in Melbourne.

> but they have Type R prints...what is that? Interneg?

"R4" stands for reversal, 4th version, and it's basically Ektachrome
emulsion on paper. Fuji have an "RA4" variant using similar chemistry.
The results I got from one lab were woeful; I may try it using a
better lab. The Fuji papers tend, like the Fuji films, to have shrill
colours, which of course get shriller in the second generation.

One lab showed me output from a very expensive new digizilla, claiming
it was better than Cibachrome, but I didn't agree. The Kodak Image
Magic machines have the problem that the monitor colours are not accurate
and can't be calibrated, at least where I went.

> Colors are gorgeous, and I'm sold on
> it; no more print for my personal shooting.

Some other good slide films to try (for landscape at least) are
Kodachrome 64 and 25, Velvia (at EI 40), Ektachrome Elite 100
and Ektachrome E100/E100SW/E100VS. Except for special purposes,
avoid anything faster than 100.