Re: [OM] 50/1.2 impressions?

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/1.2 impressions?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:03:53 +0000
At 22:01 11/22/99 , Skip Williams wrote:
>Does anyone have practical impressions of the MC 50/1.2?

It's the second best lens I have and the best OM Zuiko.  Excellent
contrast, superb resolution, and very good bokeh.  Consistent performance
down to about f/2.8.  At least 950f my photographs from the OM-4 are with
this lens.

>Dare I ask, does it compete in any way with the Leica F/1 or F/1.2
>Noctilux's?  (May Oscar Barnak have mercy on my "sole" <gg>.)

Ummmm, I won't comment on this; might be accusations of bias (scroll down).

>Any others?

Also have a 50/1.8 F.Zuiko (SC).  A very good standard lens, but the 50/1.2
is noticeably better in contrast and resolution.

*--- WARNING:  Heresy Content Begins ---*
The *best* lens I have (of nine) is a 45 year old 50/1.5 Carl Zeiss Sonnar
on a Contax IIIa (why I reserved comment on the Leitz Noctilux).  It more
than lives up to the legendary reputation.  Beats the 50/1.2 Zuiko in
contrast, has slightly better resolution and very nice bokeh.  It's an
unfair comparison though.  Making a 2nd Bertele design 5cm/1.5 Sonnar (the
1st was a 5cm/2) reformulated for coatings even 10 years ago would have
cost a fortune.  The design requires extreme precision during
manufacturing.  Also, it was not designed for an SLR but for a rangefinder.
 The rear element is closer to the film gate than an SLR allows (mirror
would hit it).
*--- End of Heresy Content ---*

If nothing else, the bright image from the 50/1.2 on he OM-4 make focusing
in low light much easier!  Very glad I snagged a 10- condition used one
when I found it and don't regret the cost.

-- John