Re: [OM] Panoramic Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Panoramic Lenses
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:27:20 +0000
A number of good remarks from several people.  I'm very new at the stitched
panoramics.  Used a Bogen 3414 to index the rotation and a Cullman slide
plate on top of that for positioning the camera.  Used PhotoVista for
stitching . . . and having tried a couple of others must agree that it is
among the simplest and best.  A bit of fiddling around with it discovered
letting PhotoVista sort out what *exact* focal length to use seems to work
much better on most of them.

I will have to experiment more with the camera position . . . it is
rotating on the lens axis but not terribly certain if I got the rear node
position correctly yet.  It seems to pass the "lamppost" parallax test but
is worth checking again and trying a round of vertical format instead of
horizontal.  A couple also had some *very* near objects in the foreground
which probably amplify lens positioning error and any aberration.

I looked for rear node position data for the 28/3.5 on the data sheet that
came with the lens (bought new many years ago . . . and the lens hood is in
the top of the lens case).  A diagram of the lens elements and outer
dimensions is on the sheet, but nothing about node locations.  :-(  I'm not
a lens expert but it looks as if there is a "reverse tele" at the back
which would make sense on a short focal length lens for an SLR (keeps the
lens rear far enough from the film plane to prevent a mirror from banging
into it).  Anyone seen any node position data on the Zuiko's anywhere?

-- John