[OM] The OM-1 Arrives

Subject: [OM] The OM-1 Arrives
From: Jim Mueller <webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:04:11 -0600
The OM-1 that I 'won' from an ebay aution has finally arrived today. It
came with a 135 f/3.5 and lens case, and a brown leather body case and
strap for the camera. The camera was quite dirty but it cleaned up well.
The seller was honest. There are no dings, dents or scratches on the
body itself. Just a couple of very small faint bright marks on the base.
After the camera was cleaned, it almost looks new. It does have a couple
of minor defects, however.

There is a small scraped spot on the chrome retaining ring for the film
advance lever. The leatherette has lifted up very slightly at the top
edge just above the self timer.  It also needs light seals as I don't
see any!

Overall, the camera gives the impression of light use. Perhaps, it has
been in its case unused for years. Otherwise, cosmetically, it looks
better than 900f new.

Mechanically, it seems good as well. The meter works and responds
quickly. The shutter sounds strong. Shutter speeds seem in the ball
park.

The 135mm f/3.5 looks mint. It's missing a front cap, though. The lens
case for the 135mm is good enough with a couple of scuffs. Same goes for
the camera case.

Some questions I have: Do I need to replace the battery? How do I tell
if I got the right battery now?

Does anyone have a nice 135mm f/2.8 or 100mm f/2.8 for sale? I need
something faster than my f/3.5 for astrophotography?

--
jim mueller