Re: [OM] filters, again.

Subject: Re: [OM] filters, again.
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 08:44:25
At 10:19 PM 11/4/99 +0000, John A. Lind wrote:

>The absolute flatness of B+W and Heliopan with Schott glass has already
>been mentioned . . . I will add that the front and back surfaces are
>absolutely coplanar as well.

tiffen claims that they grind and polish thier filters for the same purpose.

>This reduces risk of flare, unwanted distortion, and as I understand it
>coplanarity is important for reducing risk of "fringing."

sounds good.

>Don't forget that *any* time light passes from one substance into another
>there is at least *some* reflection (causing transmission loss in addition
>to what is absorbed in the media).  If the ray path is at an angle there is
>at least *some* refraction also.  That is, the light changes direction!
>When this occurs, different wavelengths (a.k.a. colors) bend at different
>angles.

yup.

>In a "sandwich" filter you have four surfaces versus two in solid glass.
>Since the middle "stuff" (whatever it is) is different from the glass,
>there are four changes in the index of refraction on the way through versus
>two in solid glass (counting the air on both sides of the filter).

tiffen claims that the glue has the same index of refraction as glass,
hence it behaves as one solid piece.

>As before, the question is magnitude of effect and whether it is detectable
>in the end product.

well, i do know that filters add flare. you can try this experiment: take
your camera with no filter on the lens and point it towards a small light
source. frame it so that the source is in one corner of the frame. observe
any flare. while holding the camera in this position grab a filter and
screw it on the front of the lens. with a white light source and an
uncoated filter, you will see a white blob of flare from the filter. we
only have one coated filter, a n*k*n brand, and it added a little green
blob of flare.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright