Re: [OM] filters, again.

Subject: Re: [OM] filters, again.
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 16:06:31
At 11:13 AM 11/4/99 -0700, Garth Wood wrote:

>No need to feel this way -- coating may or may not be all that important,
depending on what kind of filter you want and what you want to use it for.
In general, coatings are an attempt to introduce the absolute minimum
degradation possible in the image, but let's face it, many of Tiffen's
filters are special-effects filters which quite explicitly are designed to
*introduce* significant "degradation" (it just happens that this is a type
of degradation you actually want).

yeah, but you may not want flare to go along with the effect.....

>You might be right.  However, B+W has a reputation for using the
finest-quality optical glass (I don't know whether the rep is deserved or
not), and they're supposed to be dead flat, and I own a number of them in
colour-correction series as well as a few for panchromatic (full-spectrum
black-and-white) films which re-balance the B&W films' tonal range.  I've
always been pleased with the results.

I think I'm going to focus on getting mc filters from now on.

>No idea what the significance is re: green glass vs. white glass.

actually, it's "water" glass, not white glass....memory fade.

thanks for your input.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright