[OM] 24mm shift vs larger formats

Subject: [OM] 24mm shift vs larger formats
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:39:38 +0000
Bob Gries wrote:

>large format set ups are great, save for the large
>format carrying case and the individual film sheets!  My heart is with
>medium format because of the roll film, and its availability in the US and
>Europe

There are a number of options for lens movement in medium format.  These
include the wideangle provisions in most systems (55m for Mamiya 645, 75m
for RB/RZ, Pentax 67...) and proprietary wideangle cameras.  These include
models by Silvestri, Jack Tait and others, and are designed to provide
generous movements with lenses such as the 47mm and 58mm Schneiders and
similar.

There are also MF cameras which emulate LF bodies in their design, such as
the Ebony 23, a 6x9cm scaled-down version of their 4x5 and 8x10" models.
The Ebony was reviewed in a recent AP, and it looked very well-made and was
£1500.  No problem if you can afford it, and not extortionate next to a
Zuiko 24mm.  It had a swinging focussing back which you swapped for the
film back - backs availabe: 645, 6x7 and 6x9.

Mamiya Press cameras could be described as a 'hybrid' MF rangefinder with
movements.  I believe one or two list members have some experience with
these (now very cheap) behemoths.

I have recently been offered an MPP 4x5 camera with Schneider 90mm
S.Angulon (translation: sheet film camera with LF equivalent of 24mm shift
lens) for £500.  Much better value than the Zuiko (I'm sorry if that
comment offends any of you suffering with extreme Zuikosis).

On a different subject, I saw two interesting hardback books today:  David
Doubilet's fabulous underwater photography, and 'Water' by Art Wolfe.  Nice
ideas for Christmas presents, though I have to admit that I could see
myself going back to DD's book more often (as I did with the recent Nat Geo
article).  Art's book was nice, but not breathtaking.

Simon E.