Re: [OM] infrared metering

Subject: Re: [OM] infrared metering
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:22:35 +0000
Dirk Wright wrote:

>with the deep red filter on there, there ain't no visible light to speak of
>for the meter to read, only deep red and infrared.

But shouldn't you be metering without the filter in place and compensating
for it?  The recommendation, was to meter w/o filter at 400asa and then
apply a suitable filter factor.  The notes also commented that, as IR
radiation was not proportional to visible light, it would be wise to
bracket.  In overcast conditions I take it that there is proportionally
less IR than in sunlight, so on my recent roll of Kodak IR (dated 10/89!!)
I bracketed 1 and 2 stops *over* the direct reading (it was dull &
miserable - well, it's Wales whaddaya expect?).  After applying the 25 red
filter I was effectively working at 50 asa, before adding compensation.  I
certainly wouldn't want to meter through the camera with a 3-stop red
filter on the lens!

Checking through files on my PC, I found a very useful IR FAQ, originally
written by Caroline Knight which agrees.  It contains plenty of other stuff
too.  I will e-mail a copy of the html file (29kb) to anyone who wants a
copy, please let me know *offline*.  Sorry, I don't know where I found it.
You can also find IR info here:

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mainpage.htm

Simon E.