Re: [OM] ADITL2

Subject: Re: [OM] ADITL2
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:06:36 -0000
Hi all,

Charlie L. wrote:

> Also it would not be ADITL unless it was taken on THE day with all
> submissions doing what they did on THE day.
>
> Actually, the more I think of it I feel that ADITL should be done every
> six months and a themed gallery submission on other occasions.

This is a good point. I wasn't around for the first ADITL but my
understanding
is that the only constraint was that all the pictures had to be taken on a
particular day, hence the theme really was 'A Day In The Life'.

ADITL2 added the extra constraint of 50mm lenses only, but seemed to relax
the
date issue somewhat, so it wasn't really 'A Day In The Life' at all.

Now I agree that constraints can be a spur to creativity, but multiple
restrictions
just become a pain. It's hard enough to be free to take pictures on a
particular day
(or week) without also having to arrange that they will be macro pictures,
or sunsets,
or whatever.

So I would like to echo Charlie's comment by suggesting that the time
interval be
widened considerably to allow any picture taken *since the previous cutoff
date* to be eligible.

Thus if, for example, we had four themes per year, there would actually be a
three-month
window for getting the shooting done. The preparation and submission time
would overlap
the shooting window for the next theme.

This would give plenty of time for everone (who wants) to get around to a
particular type
of shot, but would still ensure that we are seeing current work rather than
the pick
of everyone's back catalogue.

However, I would also agree with Charlie that *at least* one of the themes
in the year actually
be 'A Day In The Life", with the shooting date being non-negotiable (but
*no* other constraint).

Given the above, ADITL isn't really an accurate name for these undertakings.
I had thought
of OLMEX (Olympus List Members EXhibition) as an alternative but that sounds
more like a
name for a petrochemicals corporation :-) Any better ideas?

Comments please.

-Brian