Re: [OM] Low light photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Low light photography
From: Mike Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 06:40:16 -0700
>What kind of tripod is this mounted on? <g>  Nice explanation.
>
>Gregg
>
>Joey Richards wrote:
>
>> Consider a camera made by carving a little tunnel to a light-tight
>> box in the center of a mountain.  Mount a very badly designed
>> shutter on this tunnel (one that really vibrates like all hell)
>> and take a picture.

I don't know, but I'm not going to try carrying it!

Joey,
        Great explanation.  I always looked at vibration problems a little
differently.  The short version (with the Mountain in mind) says, a
increase in the mass, will decrease the amplitude of the vibration.  The
vibration itself is not the problem.  My RecorData back has a vibrating
crystal in it, why do I put it on my camera? Because the amplitude
resulting system vibration has no apparent amplitude.  In cameras the
amplitude of the resulting vibration is the damaging factor.  This is
why hanging your gear bag from the tripod works.

--
Mike Butler
Chief Mechanic / Engineer