[OM] Sigma lenses

Subject: [OM] Sigma lenses
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 08:44:45
I just bought a Sigma lens for Olympus mount from B+H Photo for 170$. It's
a 28mm f/1.8 that has been recently discontinued. I called Sigma and they
suggested checking with B+H because they are apparently the largest stocker
of Sigma glass. I put my zuiko 28/3.5, 135/3.5 and 50/1.8 up for sale on
ebay. I already have a Tamron 135/2.5 that I'm pleased with. The 28mm Sigma
will go nicely with my 18mm f/2.8 Sigma that I also bought recently. I love
wide angle lenses, and I wish I could buy a Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye. It
also has been recently discontinued.

I'm sorry, I just can't afford fast zuiko glass.

I may have to save up to get a zuiko 35mm f/2.0 since no one else makes a
reasonably fast (and good) 35mm lens. Most flashes only cover a maximum of
35mm, hence the need for this lens. I have lots of pictures taken with a
28mm and flash where only the center part is illuminated - oops! slip of
the nuerons there!

I need reasonably fast glass because I also have lots of pictures where the
subject is out of focus, but some other part is in focus. These are almost
always indoor shots taken with available light and/or flash. I assume the
faster glass will make it easier to focus under these conditions.

Another thing is that these old zuiko single coated lenses flare like
crazy. Point the lens near a bright light and you can just about count the
glass/air interfaces. A UV filter only adds another layer of flare, I even
tried a N*k*n multicoated UV filter. It only had a nice green flare vs. the
white flare of the uncoated filter and the pink of the zuiko flare. It was
interesting, with the camera pointed at the light source, I could remove
and replace the filter and watch the added flare. I could see it wiggle
also as I unscrewed the filter from the lens.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright