Re: [OM] Green flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Green flash
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 21:55:37 EDT

> I saw the green flash for the first time 2 weeks ago.  Watching the
>  sunset over the ocean from the beach in Oahu in a clear blue sky.  Just
>  after the huge ball disappeared, it happened.  To me, it looked like a
>  1/2 moon shape, sort of a 'medium to bright' green just abouve the
>  horizon and lasted not more than a second or 2.
>
>  OM content: I wished I had my 350+1.4x pointing at it. I watched and was
>  ready for the flash several nights after that. Never saw it again.

I saw a thread in some newsgroup a month or so ago that predicted a green
flash as shortly following an "Omega sun", which was an orange sun that was
sort of squashed on the bottom as the sun set. He has also taken photos of
this green flash and posted them on his site. I can no longer find the site
but remember seeing photos of the "green flash."  On the other hand green is
the complement of orange/red in the human visual system. If the orange/red
cells and rhodopsin are used up, then this also might account for a green
afterimage.

Warren
-my name is Kato and I did follow the Green Hornet for some time