Re: [OM] Green flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Green flash
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 20:07:52 -0500
Charles Loeven wrote:

> I don't think any camera / lens combination would have helped here.
> It has been my understanding that the green flash effect is a trick of the
> eye.

> Charlie L.

The Green flash is real and is due to defraction by the atmosphere.  It
doesn't always appear but it has been photographed.  I remember seeing
an article in the Amateur Scientist column of Scientific American in the
60s (or was it the 50s?) with photographs of the flash.  There was a
program on the Discovery Channel ( I think) this week that also showed
the Green Flash (sounds like a name for a superhero, doesn't it?).

I have never seen it though I always look for it when I'm out west or on
the coast.

Jerry Liles