Re: [OM] Green flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Green flash
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:46:23 -0600
At 04:09 PM 10/15/99 -0700, Charlie Loeven wrote:
>===OM content: I wished I had my 350+1.4x pointing at it. I watched and was
>ready for the flash several nights after that. Never saw it again.
>
>George===
>
>I don't think any camera / lens combination would have helped here.
>It has been my understanding that the green flash effect is a trick of the
>eye.
>As the bright glow of the sun suddenly disappears from the back of your eye
>a remnant of that light remains for an instant.  It appears green.
>I have seen a few greenies and they only lasted an instant.
>
>There is a web site about this somewhere but I never visited it and may
>be completely wrong. I never have seen a photo of a green flash.
>and doubt it could be done.
>Those more knowledgeable feel free to slam away.

No, the green flash is indeed a "photographable" optical phenomenon.  There's
even a couple of pictures of it in the Audubon Society's Field Guide to North
American Weather, under the "Optical Events" section.  Quite neat.  And, of
course, Hank Hogan posted a web address where some of his green flash pictures
are available.  To repeat, that URL was:

     http://flzhgn.home.mindspring.com/grnray.htm

I was *really* jealous -- I'm not a patient person, so I normally don't get
these kind of photos.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/