Re: [OM] Critique and Burn Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Critique and Burn Question
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:12:11 -0700
Zuiks;

I've received many responses to this question, both privately and via
the list.  Based on these and my own thoughts, I've made up my mind how
I'm going to do it at my end.  That is this:

********
Except to reduce size if it's larger than 640 x 480 OR reduce resolution
if it's over 72dpi - these I've been doing all along - I will **not**
alter the image **unless** the submitter **requests** that I alter it to
make the image look 'good' on my monitor. In this case, I will alter
only brightness and/or contrast, **no color** adjustments will be made.
All submitters who do **not request** 'corrections' should be sure that
their image looks the way they want it to before they press the send
button.
********

My reasoning is that some folks are not able to do this for themselves
for various reasons, biggest of which is they must rely on someone else
to scan their image.  An anecdote to back this up is that I informed the
submitter of the 'flat' image I described in my e-mail yesterday that
the flat image was his and described what I had done to improve it
(contrast up 10-20%, bright up 5-10%) He replied shortly that he then
tried the same thing and that yes, that improved the digital image to
something much closer to the slide.

Incidentally, almost all private responses were that folks did **not**
mind if I altered their images. But as above, I will not do that except
on request.

I think the process above is best for all, including me.  Unless there
are **many, strong** objections, that's that and I think this thread
should die.

As for the digital manipulation question, Wayne presents his case below
basically that digital alterations should be allowed without constraint
if I read it correctly. I find this view, while perfectly acceptable for
some applications, to be inappropriate for ADITL.  Almost all responses
private and public agree with me on this one.

It is, of course, impossible for the use of digital techniques to be
prevented or sometimes even detected by myself or other ADITL viewers.
So it's up to the submitter to be sure his/her submission complies to
the intent of ADITL.

George

PS: The 'George' quoted below is not me.

"Harridge, Wayne" wrote:

> George wrote:
>

> > > I say we allow any manipulation that the maker wants.  If
> > you allow only
> > >  some manipulation, where do you draw the line ?
> > >
> > Which is why I vote for no manipulation. It's " A Day in the
> > Life ", not " A
> > Vision in the Mind of the Submitter. " I want to see an image
> > that is as I
> > *could* have seen if I was where the photographer was when he
> > tripped that
> > shutter.
>
> As soon as the photographer trips the shutter, what he has is an
> interpretation ONLY, it can never be the "real" scene.  Just by selecting a
> certain viewpoint, cropping, exposure, etc, etc the photographer has
> deprived you of making a completely objective evaluation of what he has
> captured.

Which is precisely the interpretation which should be presented here.
The **photographic** interpretation.

> > Just my 2c, I don't want any flames because I see others'
> > points too. I think
> > we all have to make some allowance in our minds when we
> > understand we are
> > viewing an image on the computer screen, and not viewing a
> > print directly.
> > Which I realize is an argument to allow the submitter
> > manipulation of the
> > image! Geez!
> > But if we are allowing critique of the images, isn't the best
> > software
> > program, and/or computer operator going to shine, and not
> > necessarily the
> > best *photographer* ?
>
> If that were the case, why don't we exclude certain lenses & bodies (e.g.
> Gary has an unfair advantage because he used an OM-4Ti, multi spot metered
> the scene through his 50mm f2 macro, Bill has an unfair advantage because he
> has been a professional photographer for 20 years and his image was scanned
> on an Olympus ES-10 scanner).  Perhaps we could limit all entries to an OM-1
> with 50mm f1.8, which would probably be the lowest common denominator of the
> list, and have a single person scan all negs/slides at default settings.

This argument is specious.  We are **photographers**.  We use cameras
and lenses. That's what we're about. In fact, of course, we DID
eliminate ALL lenses except 50mms for this ADITL specifically to limit
and level the playing field.

George