RE: [OM] Critique and Burn Question

Subject: RE: [OM] Critique and Burn Question
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:23:51 +0200
Hi,

> Hello All!  If you guys would not mind checking out
> http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000czX
> and giving me some feedback I would be much appreciative.

A lovely picture, indeed. The light on the water is very, very nice.

Your picture does raise an interesting topic, however, and that is if it's
allowed to enhance pictures digitally where it comes down to actually
adding/removing things in the image.

I was kinda frustrated with the 50mm restriction for one of the two themes I
chose for my pictures, and the resulting pictures of that theme would have
been much better when the pictures would have been taken with a moderate
telephoto lens (better control of DOF). Now, of course I could go out of my
way to blur the background digitally, but I think that's cheating. I think
we should only be allowed to manipulate the image if
brightness/contrast/colour tuning 'enhancements' are necessary for tuning
the picture so it looks like the original (slightly cropping it should be
fine too, I guess), but completely removing/adding bits is a different story
as that significantly enhances/changes the resulting picture...

What's the list's opinion on this? Do we allow such manipulation, or don't
we?

Cheerio!
Olafo