Re: [OM] Oly equipment and interneg film

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly equipment and interneg film
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 14:34:06 -0600
At 01:06 PM 10/6/99 -0500, Garry Lewis wrote:
>>>I have a Polaroid Propalette 8000 at home that can output
>slides up to 8000 lines resolution. <<
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>I find that amazing since most lense have only a max. resolution of 100 lpm
>and the highest film I've seen was 200 lpm resolution.
>
>May I call for a bit of clarifaction on the words lines resolution?

I'm assuming you don't mean "lpm," since to me that means "lines per
meter."  I'm assuming you mean "lines per millimetre."

As for the scanners, I suspect the one I own (the Polaroid SprintScan 4000)
is already pushing the practical limits of most films -- in many instances,
I can already resolve *grain* in the film, leading me to believe that 4000
lpi (approx. 158 lpmm) is about as much as you could ever usefully use.

I'm surprised that any additional info would be available at 8000 lpi --
even drum-scanned output doesn't normally go that high, and that allows for
extremely high resolution four- or seven-colour separations and printing.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/