Re: [OM] Oly equipment and interneg film

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly equipment and interneg film
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 12:26:28 -0700
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 01:06 PM 10/6/99 -0500, Garry Lewis wrote:
>>>I have a Polaroid Propalette 8000 at home that can output
>slides up to 8000 lines resolution. <<
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>I find that amazing since most lense have only a max. resolution of 100 lpm
>and the highest film I've seen was 200 lpm resolution.
>
>May I call for a bit of clarifaction on the words lines resolution?

As for the scanners, I suspect the one I own (the Polaroid SprintScan 4000)
is already pushing the practical limits of most films -- in many instances,
I can already resolve *grain* in the film, leading me to believe that 4000
lpi (approx. 158 lpmm) is about as much as you could ever usefully use.

Just a reminder -- it takes a minimum of two pixels to resolve a line, so a 4000 spi (samples per inch) scanner is theoretically capable of only 78 lpmm. (4000 / 2 / 25.4).

In reality, it is not even that good. Inexpensive CCD sensors in common use bleed charge between cells, and are NOT capable of resolving adjacent black and white pixels. If you scan a sharp, high-contrast transition and view it at 4000r so, you'll see that the transition forms a gradient over several pixels that is not visible in the original with a loupe.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>