Re: [OM] Oly equipment and interneg film

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly equipment and interneg film
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 11:18:00 -0700
At 10:43 AM 04-10-99 EDT,  KenK1ZYW@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Making prints from slides- -

>Just a few notes I have found out.  I Set up OM2n with bellows and slide
>copying stage on a tripod.  Put Fuji (Interneg ) ITN film in camera and set
>speed to 25 and bracketted and put it on asa 12 (the slowest that OLY goes)
>Bracketted with 90mm macro lens and here are my findings:

Last week I attended a slide show of underwater photography taken between
the coast of mainland British Columbia and Vancouver Island. The photos
were of National Geographic quality and appeal, were perfectly exposed and
focused, and many of them were taken within inches of the subject. They had
all been taken with single or multi flash lighting at depths between 25 and
100 feet. The photographer / diver mentioned that they had been taken using
a rangefinder Nikkonos [sp?]. In a nutshell the slide photos were stunning,
just absolutely stunning. We also learned that coastal BC has some of the
most colourful and photogenic underwater life in the world.

I learned afterwards that the photos were taken on print film and that the
slides were made from either the colour negatives and / or prints. This
came from the photo dealer who actually did the slide production work.

My questions are:

1. How much of the original picture quality would be lost in the print to
slide production process?

2. To what extent would or could the slide photos be a guzzied up effort
reflecting the skill of the print to slide technician as opposed to the
photographer?

3. How common is print to slide conversion for these awe inspiring slide
shows?

At the time I thought that the slides were just out of this world. Now I
have some second thoughts.

jh