Re: [OM] om4ti pricing

Subject: Re: [OM] om4ti pricing
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:21:04 EDT
In a message dated 10/01/1999 1:08:49 AM EST, yj.canavos@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> What are some other things I should beware of when
>  purchasing at a fair.  In addition are there any 4ti's that eat up
>  batteries like the om4's?  Are there any other issues I should be aware
>  of when looking to purchase an om4ti?

I would be very hesitant to buy at a "fair" without knowing more details
about the fair. If the seller at the fair also has a store somewhere
relatively near you, (and your message leads me to believe this isn't the
case) then I'd be more at ease. If you'll never be seeing the seller again,
then don't do it, it's too risky to get burned.
Unless you are  v e r y  familiar with what to watch out for in a particular
item,
( you apparently aren't that familiar, [no offense] ) don't do it. If I were
you, I'd talk to the list member who just posted a FS: OM-4T message today. $
650 (US) isn't out of line for a 4Ti, but, IMO, it would really have to be
"like new". Similar prices are probably at Olympusguy and KEH, and Charlotte
Camera, all reputable dealers with return priviledges.
The battery problem was fixed with the introduction of the 4T. (Even though
my plain 4 never ate batteries either).
The other things to look out for are what you'd look for in ANY OM body-
condition (not just exterior cosmetics, but look INSIDE at the film rails,
back plate, etc.) Look for signs of repairs, replaced top or bottom plates
that give a quick, "new" look, look at the foam seals, the LCD, etc.  More
info on what to look for are in the FAQ archives, and one other thing- if
you're still apprehensive, take along a more experienced photographer friend
when you go look at bodies.
He/she doesn't  h a v e to be an Olympus user (although it would help) but if
they're experienced, they''ll know what to look for. (hopefully).
I've bought a few -4s and -4Tis in my day, if I can be of any help feel free
to ask me off-list, or, I think I speak for many list members- ask more
questions of the list- there are dozens of us who would like to help if we
can.
Good hunting!
George S.