RE: [OM] lenses - 24 vs 28

Subject: RE: [OM] lenses - 24 vs 28
From: "Will von Dauster" <vondauster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:57:21 -0700
Joey Wrote,

<<I'm thinking of either 24mm or 28mm f/2.8 zuikos.

Anyway, any thoughts anyone has about how to choose between these
would be appreciated... >>

Both lenses are at least very good. Personally, I own the 24mm 2.8 and am
entirely pleased with its performance. To me it is extraordinarily sharp,
rectilinear, and exhibits good color and resistance to flare. It is also
very compact!

As for "wide angle distortion," with a rectilinear lens this usually only
becomes a problem with people's faces placed too near the corners of the
image, otherwise it is a non-issue or a compositional tool at worst. The
24mm Zuiko is one of my essential lenses. For my tastes, I like the 50mm,
35mm, 24mm combination. The 28mm might be a good choice if you never intend
to buy or use a 35mm lens, otherwise the 28mm is too close to 35mm to
warrant owning one, in my opinion.

Will von Dauster

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde