Re: [OM] Creative Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Creative Filters
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:24:21 EDT

> Where should I start? What is the difference between the Cokin Filter
>  systems (is "A" series and "??" series).  Any suggestions?
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Elmer Brum

The main difference is the size and price. It is wiser to start off with the
P size because the A size might vignette with lens as short as 28mm. It is
not the filter that is the problem but the holder for the filters.

The filters are resin (optical plastic??) of supposed high quality. In the
"P" size, other companies also make filters such as Tiffen (glass), HiTech
and Singh Ray (both plastic).

Stay away from the Cokin "gray" density gradient filters as they usually put
a magenta cast on white areas. Singh Ray is supposed the best, Tiffen makes
durable glass and HiTech is the most economical.  Needless to say I use the
HiTech ND grads. I would recommend a two stop (0.6) soft gradation and 3 stop
(0.9) hard gradation filters.

In addition to the ND grad I also like the P173 with a polarizer for wild
yellow/blue effects.  I also use one of the many diffusers for portraits.
Other than this I don't use any of the other many Cokin filters that I own.

Buy the Cokin "P" size adapter as it is very low cost.  Some people cut off
the outermost two filter slots to prevent vignetting in wide angles.

Warren