Re: [OM] Lens Hoods

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Hoods
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 99 13:11:37 +0200
~~~~~ Wiese said:

>The fact that Oly makes lens hoods to fit multiple focal lengths is one of
>my major gripes (I understand this is not what was meant below, but it
>brought it to mind)  - how can an efficient 35mm hood be considered
>satisfactory on a 50mm lens (ie the 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4 hood) ?  Not only
>this but the 85/2 hood looks to have a wider angle of acceptance than that
>hood (though it is slightly longer, but still not long enough).

I had always imagined that it worked because the mounting point was
different for each lens' centre of light gathering.  That is: the hood
fitted further forward on the 50mm lens and thus coincided with the angle
of acceptance, whereas the hood fitted further back on the 35mm again
coinciding with the angle of acceptance.  I presume that no hood is
exactly coincident with the angle of acceptance of any lens since it
would mean that a knocked or dented hood might interfere with the path of
the light.

In other words, the difference is so small that it makes no difference
for these 2 focal lengths... clear as mud?

Chris

mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx