Re: [OM] Lens Hoods

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Hoods
From: "Wiese" <wiese@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:41:52 +1000
The fact that Oly makes lens hoods to fit multiple focal lengths is one of
my major gripes (I understand this is not what was meant below, but it
brought it to mind)  - how can an efficient 35mm hood be considered
satisfactory on a 50mm lens (ie the 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4 hood) ?  Not only
this but the 85/2 hood looks to have a wider angle of acceptance than that
hood (though it is slightly longer, but still not long enough).

Most of my shots are not taken on a tripod, but I'm far from an 'action'
shooter - I simply want to be able to move around to find different
angles/perspectives and shoot at the right moment without having to spend a
minute positioning my hand/hat/whatever.  Far from just direct sunlight,
even a little extraneous (non-image forming) light falling on lens elements
has, in my experience, significant consequences for image contrast (and
hence definition) and colour saturation.  It seems to me strange to spend
time and money in the pursuit of finding, buying and using the best lenses
one can afford, only to nullify these advantages with ineffectual hoods,
made apparently for that particular lens, but doing little good...
Especially when some of the best photographic light (IMHO) is the trickiest,
and most likely to cause flare problems.

(please understand my frustration is directed at manufacturers and
designers, not anyone here!)

Cheers

Andy

--------------------------
[...]
BTW, the hoods for the 28/2.0 and 24/2.8 are almost identical and can be
used
interchangeably.

Warren
-----------------------------

I don't use a lens hood. (Except for the 18/3.5, because its "hood"
lets me use a 72mm lens cap -- I hate the friction-fit cap on the
18/3.5!) I know there are those who keep one on constantly, and I
think it's nearly as religious a topic as SC/MC and SUVs, but I
really can't be bothered:

* they make the lenses harder to fit in the bag,
* most preclude the use of a lens cap,
* changing filters is a pain,
* a loose lens with a hood tends to roll unpredictably,
* etc., etc., etc.

I can see they might have some use to action shooters, but I shoot
mainly from a tripod [...]

Jan Steinman