Re: [OM] Re: OM-4T sold for $472.90 on 9/7/99 , ebay Item # 155751748

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM-4T sold for $472.90 on 9/7/99 , ebay Item # 155751748
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:55:01 +0200
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:06:02 -0500, "Samuel Morales"
<dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I tried to pull the current sales on OM-4T's on ebay and only found one
>which sold on for $472.90 and it closed on 9/7/99.  It seemed to be in
>pretty good shape according to the wording in the AD.
>
>I once met a guy in Florida (true story) who was working at an Eckerd Drugs
>.  I was talking about a spot meter and he overheard my conversation and
>asked what kind of camera I had.  I mentioned the type, Olympus.  He then
>pulled  a blk 4Ti from behind the counter and said he owned one also.  This
>guy was a student (a kid going to college) and I looked at his camera and it
>had a 50mm f-2 macro lens (zuiko).  I complimented the camera and he went on
>to say he bought it at a pawn shop for $150.00.  I said , with the lens , he
>said yes.  He then went on to say what the camera sold for new , so he knew
>what he had .
>
>The story seems unbelievable , but I assume it is true and is possible and
>probably really did happen.  He gave me no reason to believe otherwise.
>
>I guess deals can happen everyday it is all about being at the right place
>at the right time.  Just like fishing.  I always here you should have been
>here yesterday or the minute you left , you would not believe the fish we
>caught.
>
>I would love to buy a excellent OM-4T for $200.00 , I would buy as many as I
>could afford.
>
>Sam ...

I agree with you, Sam, that occasional lucky purchases like the one
described above do happen. I know of a friend who, although he owned
every possible OM item, still was very interested in OM1's, 2's and
even 10's!. In every camera fair he would carefully examine all OM's
about. Why? Because he has bought an OM-1, a few years back, for $75
with a 40/2 attached for a standard lens! He still hopes to find
another of those combo's the same way...
I have had the luck of buying an OM-1N with a 35-70 mm zoom attached
for $150. Good buy but not exceptional you would say - unless you know
that it was the 3.6 type of this zoom which I bought!
All these occasions only happen if the seller is not knowledgeable
about his stock. But then sometimes even dealers are not!

Frank.