Re: [OM] Re: OM-4T sold for $472.90 on 9/7/99 , ebay Item # 155751748

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM-4T sold for $472.90 on 9/7/99 , ebay Item # 155751748
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:03:27 -0400
> I complimented the camera and he went on
> to say he bought it at a pawn shop for $150.00.

There's a fair chance this was kit was "hot"---even though both the
pawnbroker and buyer were likely innocent.  Maybe I'm paranoid: just
recently my sister had a piece of luggage (with Minoltas) stolen from
her Miami Beach hotel.  The concierge was shocked---shocked; but the
responding officer smiled, and said that Miami is awash in stolen goods
and he spends half his day going up and down the strip dealing with
luggage theft.  The cameras and jewelry, he said, would show up in a
pawn shop or strip bar after she (and the the hundreds of other
tourist/victims) had left on their cruise or gone home.

Would any legitimate owner of a 4T with a 50/2 Zuiko take it to a pawn
shop, and then not redeem it for the $50 or so he/she was loaned on it?
I don't think so.

Of course, maybe--probably, I hope--the camera was pawned by an heir of
a departed shutterbug or some other perfectly honest soul under some
perfectly honest circumstances, but . . . it smells a bit fishy.

Morgan Sparks