Re: [OM] Back after hiatus

Subject: Re: [OM] Back after hiatus
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:52:24 +0200
>Hi all,

snip

>I hope I haven't missed too much - I'll have to go and check the archives
>when I get a chance.
>
>Cheers
>
>Andy
>wiese@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Andy

I suppose that you will always have missed something of interest on this
varied list.  But, unless you are obsessed with large 4WD road machines
(and you live in the USA), you will have passed over a fair proportion of
pretty predictable arguments.

However, there is still ADITL2, nominally due today.  It should be through
a 50mm lens (or a 55/1.2) and I think that the "exhibits" are due for 30
September.

Oh, and if you are a keen environmentalist you will have enjoyed the first
few exchanges on SUVs ("sports utility vehicles" in case they're called
something different in Oz).  You might also have been interested in the
amount of mercury in batteries compared with low-energy strip lighting.  It
might have tickled you to discuss the rights and wrongs of the military
holding forth on the amount of pollution in the world (or the USA, I'm not
sure of the emphasis here).  A real bit of controversy over whether you
should try to sell an OM4Ti that you know has been in salt water might have
grabbed your attention for 2 or 3 seconds, and when is a SUV not an SUV
might have kept you awake for a good 5 minutes after you had drunk your
cocoa in bed (yes, you're right to infer that there was something of a
theme here - totally unrelated to OMs or even photography).

On the other hand... you might have pressed the space bar (in Eudora) many,
many, many times as the battles raged on.

"Half a league, half a league, half a league onward... Into the Valley of
Death rode the six hundred..."

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the photographs of the of the aftermath
of the Charge of the Light Brigade.  The "Valley of Death" was nothing more
than a small, shallow gully!  The photograph is a monument to the
uselessness of war and to the wanton destruction caused by proud,
unthinking generals - whether by honest mistake or not.

Welcome back to the Mad House: it's nothing if not varied ;-)

Chris (no I don't have an SUV, but I will have an Mercedes Benz ML270 next
year).

Oh, BTW, in case you're confused Andy, the SUV thread strayed interestingly
into other large-engined vehicles like Thunderbirds.  The fuel consumption
achievable with these machines seemed to be an important factor.  Oh, but I
forgot spice provided by the air conditioning vs open windows slant... cb

p.s.  Please do not mistake my tone for one of sarcasm.  You might want to
describe instead as dry British humour... but I'll leave it up to you (or
anyone else). cb