Re: [OM] Re: quips from Vegas

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: quips from Vegas
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:23:17 -0400
>>This all brings me to the everyday survival of the Las Vegas freeways and
streets. How can anyone with a collection of OM gear make it safely across
or even escape out of this city without a Bronco, Subarban, Hummer (or
something with a decent ground clearance) to take their pictures???
The freeways are commonly littered with all kinds of construction debris,
(lumber, bricks, even wheelbarrows and ladders) to clear. I have watched as
the lexus, mercedes, common cars get wrecked by running into this stuff at
70MPH while my trusty Bronco with 33 inch tires and 2" thick rubber(12MPG)
just takes all this stuff as all in  a  days work!>>

As has been pointed out previously, superior driving skills and an automobile
built with real brakes, tires, and engine will compensate.

I have tried not to be nasty and complain about suburbanites, suv drivers, or
any protected or non-protected class of people. I have lived in NYC all my life
and can assure you we have pot-holes that would terrify LA drivers! Yet I have
never flatted a tire, cracked a wheel, or needed a front end alignment cuz I
hit something nasty (plus we have dogs and pedestrians to worry about!) I have
always driven reasonably competent sporting cars, altho not sports cars, and
have had nary a problem.

I keep my eyes open, plain and simple. Somehow you think because you are in an
suv when you run over a wheelbarrow at 70mph you are a better driver than
someone who merely wrecks his car when hitting one. Frankly, anyone who runs
into a wheelbarrow at any speed scares the shit outta me.

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at