RE: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem)

Subject: RE: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:47:19 -0700
From: "Higgins, Michael (Ex AS01)" <MHiggins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

As an Australian I'm not even too sure what a SUV is, an unless it has an OM
mount I don't really care!

It means "Suburban Ussalt Vehicle." (Private to George: I'M KIDDING! :-)

No, it means "Sport Utility Vehicle." They generally come with a breech OM mount in the rear, upon which you can easily mount a couple dozen Zuikos at the same time, explaining the passion with which they are discussed here. Zuikos can also be mounted via the two or four side-mounts, but in this respect, SUVs are not much different from normal passenger cars.

Earlier designs (Cherokee, Bronco, Blazer, Scout) had a screw mount, and OM adaptors were rare and expensive. Then the automakers switched to a bayonet mount, which the stupid, inconsiderate people who are also attracted to wonderbricks found they could figure out, and they became much more popular.

The controversy comes because of the automation. When you get in one of these wonderbricks, you simply push a button, and your windshield displays "1/125 @ f11," and begins to move, leaving you to put on nail polish, talk on a cell phone, read "War And Peace," etc. Unfortunately, this automation leads people to drive to a lot of places they would not normally drive to, occasionally flattening puppies, small children, and compact-car sufferers in their path.

(Before you flame, I AM NOT saying ALL who drive wonderbricks are stupid and inconsiderate! If you're on this list, you're obviously exceptional, and therefore, an exception.)

(Now before you flame, folks -- wait, wait it's coming, here it is, THE SMILEY! ---> :-)

Obligatory OM content: OM content? We don't need no steenkeen OM content!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>