Re: [OM] Tri-X + Rodinal

Subject: Re: [OM] Tri-X + Rodinal
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:43:23 -0500
At 10:21 PM 9/18/1999 -0700, Glen Lowry wrote:
> Myself, I don't think I cld/wld scan b&w negs directly.  If I had a film
>scanner, I'd use it mainly for slides.  Perhaps the issue is control--w/ b&w
>I'm shooting to print (which I can do and enjoy doing), w/ chromes I haven't
>yet developed the skill to print colour (and in spite of the fact I'm in the
>process of setting up a darkroom around a new LPL dichro/colour enlarger,
>I'm not as anxious to do it myself--this may change when I get going on
>Ilfochrome).
>
>I don't think any of this is very logical, but oh well there you go.
>
>Glen

Hi Glen,

Where people drop into the digital stream is probably only marginally an
issue of logic but more tied to the experience one will base further
development on. I am able to get more consistently good results with film
scans and Photoshop monkey-business with both color and BW emulsions than I
ever could in the darkroom before.  Having said that, I'm a lot happier
with my color-to-inkjet printing than my BW-to-inkjet printing.  I doubt
that I'll ever get a fine print out of the inkjet.  But the more I try, the
closer I get.  And it's fun and I don't do this for a living.  Things could
be worse. :-)

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA