Re: [OM] (Fwd) FW: Various comments.

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) FW: Various comments.
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:52:11 +0100
Michael Williamson wrote:

>Thats interesting Richard since Nakamichi actually HAS the reputation for
>making the best casssette decks in the world !!

Indeed they have.  I believe they more or less "invented" the hi-fi
cassette deck, using a medium designed originally for dictating machines!
They made decks for a number of established hi-fi names in the early 70s
when my Goodmans dates from.  It still works quite well but is a long way
from today's standards.

>...this was the only lens he (OM) had in the shop ....was an 21mm F3.5 SC
>in optically perfect condition (some paint fade) !!!!! WOW!!!!. I managed
>to pick it up for £40 (lots of bartering, and running the lens down as old
>and outdated). WOW!!!!

Nah, it's only an SC version.  The MC would be worth a fortune ;-)

>Can somebody give me some
>feedback... do you all have this exciting lens, or am I just lucky ???

You are *extremely* lucky.  Usual UK price for the 21/3.5 is £200+.   It's
about my favourite lens I think, I love it.  One of the sharpest Zuikos
I've got.  Where was this shop again? ;-)

>Tripods REALLY make a big
>difference. I thought that a nice high shutter speed would do the job.

The 35-105 zoom is another cracker.  *Subjectively* I think at 35mm it
outperforms my 35/2.8.

>What do you guys do in this situation. Would I have been better off with
>400asa ( I hate poor color saturation dropoff over 100asa) with 1000 or
>500 sec. I need some help and attention here.

Your choice is between quality and versatility.  A tripod obviously slows
you down and is inconvenient for much city-type photography.  Grab shots
are more difficult for obvious reasons, and it's probably not much help on
a moving boat!  But you can use a higher quality, slower film.  A faster
film will lose a bit of quality, but free you up for more handhelds and
grab shots which would likely be blurred using the slower film.  The longer
the focal length you're using, the faster shutter speed you need to avoid
shake, a rough rule of thumb being a slowest shutter speed of 1/focal
length.  With care and practice you should be able to get sharp results at
1/125 with the 35-105 at the long end.  Equally, I can get sharp slides
from the 21mm at 1/15th.

HTH

Richard

Richard Ross