[OM] (Fwd) FW: Various comments.

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) FW: Various comments.
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:53:43 +0000
From:          "Williamson, Michael" <Michael.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:            "'owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:       FW: Various comments.
Date:          Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:36:42 +0100

Dear All,

(1) RE: Carl Zeiss lenses
>>The ad descirbes the lenses as "made in Japan to Carl Zeiss
>>specifications".  I have an early Goodmans stereo cassette deck that was
>>also described thus.  The "Goodmans specification" extends as far as the
>>name on the badge, the rest is pure Nakamichi :-)  As you say, I would
>>guess these lenses were generic Japanese designs that were CZJ in name
alone.

Thats interesting Richard since Nakamichi actually HAS the reputation for
making the best casssette decks in the world !! Those of you that are
familiar with Hi Fi will remember the Nakamichi "Dragon" (£1000 -c1987)
and later the BX300. The Dragon was revolutionary in (many other ways
also) that to preserve amuzith in an autoreverse deck, the tape actually
was expelled on a turntable, turned around and replayed for the other side
... pure gluttonny; its full combination frequency response, wow and
flutter (some 0.015%..thereabouts), , and S/Noise ratio was never really
bettered by other manufacturers since it was released. It won stacks of
awards at the time and had a price to match. I have never seen a poor
Nakamichi product ;only pro quality - they never bothered with the low to
mid range.
(2)
According to three Jessop's shop owners, the CARL ZEISS JENA (East german)
lenses were poor. I have often seen these lenses for OM for £15 pounds,
and have been dying to try them. Perhaps gary could test just one lens to
give us a bit of an idea whether "the soul of Zeiss" is actually in the
lens !!. I have been put off by the comments by the shop owners.

(3)
I am catching a flight to Australia in October , stopping in Sinagpore on
the way. Does anybody know whether there is Duty Free OM stuff sold
(lenses??????) IN THE AIRPORT ONLY??? I would appreciate any advice.

(4) As you all may recall, I recently bought an OM4. I have also just
bought a tripod. This weekend I went scouting around all the london
photography shops looking for an 200 F4 (as you do, and for any bargains).
I went to this really out the way gunky shop and scanned his cabinets.
Imagine my excitement when he reached into the back of the cabinet and
...this was the only lens he (OM) had in the shop ....was an 21mm F3.5 SC
in optically perfect condition (some paint fade) !!!!! WOW!!!!. I managed
to pick it up for £40 (lots of bartering, and running the lens down as old
and outdated). WOW!!!! I have been testing the lens out and it seems
wonderful for landscape, interiors and achitecture. I will get my first
film back soon and can't wait to see the results. I have only ever used an
28mm, and 21mm gets in SO much more, unbelievable. I was really happy to
see the AAAAAA results from Gary's tests for this lens. Does anybody know
how much this lens is really worth; I have NEVER seen one advertised in
the paper or online or in a shop window. I think I got a bargan!!!!! From
what I can work out its really rare. Even in this newsgroup it seems
people only refer to the 24mm or shift lenses. Can somebody give me some
feedback... do you all have this exciting lens, or am I just lucky ???

(5) Two Weeks ago I went out at dusk with my girlfriend with the theme
"nights of london town". I planned to use my 35mm to 105mm (zoom) and
28mm. Today I just got the film back. (I didnt have the 21mm then). I got
all the shots processed by Kodak to  the largest print size I could get
roughly 10X6" (I think). Anyway the results were out of this world. Its my
first experience of OTF for night exposures - all done on AUTO (some using
spot). Every single night shot came out perfectly exposted with rich
color. Big bens facia zoomed up on. Westminister with water refelections,
London bridge and St pauls, views off the various bridges with stacks of
orange-on-water. All the shots with the zoom are absolutely sharp all were
taken with Self time - MLU and A prefire..... The 2nd part of the film was
from the afternoon using the zoom from a boat down the thames. It was'nt
choppy and I used the lens at 105mm zoom; the results are disappointing
and not really sharp, compared to the tripod shots. I took all the photos
on 250Sec at F3.5 (100asa kodak) and in the later afternoon on 125Sec. I
have really learned about camera shake. Tripods REALLY make a big
difference. I thought that a nice high shutter speed would do the job.
What do you guys do in this situation. Would I have been better off with
400asa ( I hate poor color saturation dropoff over 100asa) with 1000 or
500 sec. I need some help and attention here.

Regards,

Michael Williamson. (Aussie living in UK).