Re: [OM] E6 Processors, Darkrooms and scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] E6 Processors, Darkrooms and scanners
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:37:05 EDT

> I have quite a stash of exposed 'chromes that need to be processed and I'm
>  thinking that it just might be time for me to go ahead and invest in an E6
>  processor.  I need to beable to process 35mm and 120/220.  Sheet film would
>  be nice, but not necessary.  Is there a decent processor in the under $1500
>  USD realm that would be foolproof enough for this dude who hardly ever
>  follows instructions and figures that close is good enough when it comes to
>  temperatures/times etc?  I want to beable to load the drums as instructed
>  and then pop them into the machine and walk away (so to speak).  Ability to
>  do push processing is crucial.  Ok, I figure that I will probably need to
>  watch a clock and push a button or two, but I want as many "human factors"
>  minimized or eliminated as possible.

I keep thinking of the several times I was broke and processed my own (E4 at
that time). It took forever, in addition to having to be so meticulous with
chemical mixtures, and tempertures, timing cycles, drying without dust,
cutting the trannies, and ironing them to seal the mounts. Definite bad
memories (but I didn't have an automated processor either). I have a JOBO
CPE2 Plus but use it only for Ilfochrome work.

B&H sells Fuji mailers for $3.29. Pakon plastic slide mounts alone will cost
$3.06 (less in bulk) per roll.  Also, A&I is selling 120 mailers through B&H
for $3.49 (regularly $5.49). I just don't see the time and cost savings here.

As to scanner, I don't yet aspire to own a scanner because of the
price/performance problems. Aside from a drum scanner, which I've never seen
but I know is expensive, there is the Minolta Dimage Multi, which is
specifically made for 120 film, but will only scan at 1128 dpi so the 120
files aren't really any bigger than 35mm scans at a higher resolution. There
is also the Agfa Duoscan which can do 2400 ppi or the Umax which I think is
similar. But these are flatbeds with tranparency adapter and have certain
tradeoffs. Medium format scanner for amateur or semi-pro hasn't arrived yet
IMHO.

So, you're finally going to live up to the "66" in your email address. Good
luck.