Re: [OM] (Fwd) batteries & import fees

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) batteries & import fees
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:35:36 -0600
At 02:03 PM 8/28/99 +0100, Derrick Porter wrote:

[snip]

>I bought a battery for my OM-1 last week in our local camera shop. it
>is a "Zinc/air" battery which has been designed to replace mercury
>batteries (PX625 and PX13).  It provides 1.35V and is the correct
>size for fitting. I am in the UK and can't speak for availability in
>the rest of Europe. It cost GBP5.  It seems to work O.K.

Oh, *man*.  I'm with Keith Berry on this one -- you're getting seriously
*hooped* for a Zinc-Air.

Besides Gary Schloss, I'll also act as a source of VPX625 (Varta) 1.35 volt
mercury batteries suitable for the OM-1 and -1n until I can no longer get 'em
(probably the end of '99, when Varta, conforming to European environmental
regulations, will stop making them).  No promises on whether they'll make it
past your national Customs inspections, however.  The price I pay for 'em here
in Edmonton, Canada is $5.95 CDN (about $3.99 U.S. at today's interbank
exchange rates), and I'll ship 'em for that price plus whatever the prevailing
exchange rate is and shipping (usually a couple of bucks CDN).

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/