[OM] Hello and T32 flash with an OM-2

Subject: [OM] Hello and T32 flash with an OM-2
From: Mitch <mitch@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:42:36 -0700
Hello, all. I have just subscribed to this mailing list. I had been
just reading the digest for the past couple of weeks but decided I
could contribute.

I own an OM-1n and an OM-2. I have had the OM-1n for about 3 years
I just picked up the OM-2 a couple of months ago. I had not
intended on buying an OM-2, but it had a Data Back 3 and was in
excellent condition for $125. I since found out it was missing
the flash cable required for the Data Back 3 to work on
the OM-2, but the data back works great on my OM-1n. I like taking
quick meter readings with the OM-2 in auto mode. The shutter speed
scale in the finder makes this a little more convenient than
with the OM-1.

In the mid-seventies the OM-1 and OM-2 were two of the cameras that
I lusted after. They are beautiful cameras. I mean that. I
have worked at a camera store (late seventies) and I have seen
lots of cameras. At the time the OM's large, bright viewfinder and
small size were unique.  I ended up getting Canon equipment, two F-1s
that were eventually stolen in two separate incidents. I replaced
the F-1s with an EOS 630 which was also stolen. I used the insurance
money to get a video camera and stayed away from still photography
for a while.

I got the OM-1n because I have gotten into astrophotography. For those
of you who don't know it, the OM-1 is probably the number 1 camera for
film based astrophotography because of its mirror lockup, battery-less
operation and light weight. Not long after owning it I got the bug
to get into photography again and have been buying various lenses.
I have discovered that I like the OM-1n and the OM-2 a lot. My
wife has a Canon EOS Rebel xfs that is generally considered a good camera,
but I can tell you the viewfinder is so small and dark that I
really don't like to use it.

About the T-32 flash:

I have shot maybe 20 rolls with heavy use of the T-32 flash with both
my OM-1n and my OM-2. The amazing thing to me was that I have not
gotten a single picture with red-eye! Everyone in my family has
blue eyes, and red-eye has always been a problem with the EOS Rebel
(even with the red-eye reduction it is only reduced) and with
my Stylus Epic (which I bought for business trips). Frankly, I am
amazed because it does not sit that high on the camera (I have it
mounted directly to the shoe, no bounce grip).

The T-32 in manual mode or normal auto (not TTL) syncs at 1/30th of
a second on the OM-2. If you set the OM-2 to 1/60th, the T32 flash flashes
but at a weakend (too weak) strength. I comfirmed this with some
tests. I solved this problem by taping over the TTL sensor contact
on the shoe 3. This allows both manual and non-TTL automatic mode to be
used at 1/60th of a second on the OM-2. I remove the tape when I use
TTL flash, of course.  I always use 1/60th of a second for flash on the
OM-1n despite Olympus' recommendation to use 1/30th to avoid accidental
shifting of the shutter speed.

Mitch Bunnell
mitch@xxxxxxxx