Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:45:01 -0700

Acer Victoria wrote:

> lenses): 65/4; 90/8; 135/5.6; 210/5.6; 300/8 (Giving a range, in 35mm
> terms, of appx 24 to 100 mm)<<<
>
> Is there a reason MF lenses are so slow? (large elements needed to cover
> the MF area and hence can't get fast w/o really get huge?)

Firstly, these are considred large format lenses. Medium would be for
645, 6x6 6x7 and even 6x9 (all in cm) These are for 4x5 inch film.  As
for slowness, you pretty much got it right. They need to cover an area
greater than 4x5 inches, to allow for movement. It's not too bad working
with them though. You're under a dark cloth looking at the big picture.
Upside down. You get used to it.  I've got a Beattie screen for my 4x5
which helps loads.  But still, it is a lot more work to get everything
composed and focussed, compared to 35mm.

> the film rails)<<<
>
> Come again? So the camera is loaded with this (IR?) film, but you have a
> filter on the rails where the film would normally rest pressed by the
> pressure plate?

This is a trick I learned via the net.  A fellow in Netherlands, I think
named Jan Markerlink or something, has a great IR site  which describes
this and more.  I wish I could give you the URL.  A search on Infrared
should turn it up.  If it also turns up 'Professor Ferncase's IR
gallery, check it out. He's got some beautiful IR work there.

So, instead of screwing varying sized red filters on the front of the
lens (and losing 3 stops of light with which to focus and compose) you
buy Kodak gel filters or equiv.  These you can then carefully cut so
they fit just between the film rails inside the camera back.  Now the
filter is between the shutter and the film, but out of your way.  You
gotta be careful though that it won't scratch the film.  Also, any piece
of dust on either side of the filter will be in every exposure until you
notice it's there.  Sometimes this doesn't happen til you develop the
film!  This also allows the easy use of opaque IR filters which increase
the IR effect.

George