Re: [OM] famous pics and cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] famous pics and cameras
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:57:41 EDT
In a message dated 8/15/99 5:40:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
arnabkb@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Set me wondering if any of you know about any famous pics taken with Oly?

 The British mountaineer Chris Bonnington used OM1's on a number of his
Everest expeditions so you will find OM credits in a number of books on the
expeditions. The OM's were chosen for size and weight reasons. To some degree
climbing expeditions also use sponsored gear to defray costs by selling it
off at the end so sometimes the choice of gear may have an element of the
highest bidder built into the choice!

We used OM equipment sponsored by Olympus on a climbing expedition but the
cameras were "factory Winterised"  which apparently meant they were just
lubed with a lower viscosity grease. So this may well be the case with
Bonington's expedition equipment. I seem to remember reading the Hasselblads
for space were slightly modified but particularly required special
lubrication. For our expedition Olympus only recommended and sponsored OM1's
but I used both OM1's and 2's with only very occasional battery problems when
the 2's got really cold. One of the conditions of sponsorship was that no
other brand of camera equipment could be used on the expedition.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx