Re: [OM] OM 2/SP Program Function

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2/SP Program Function
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:58:57 EDT
In a message dated 8/10/99 3:48:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tox1@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

> --> SO TO THE FIRST QUESTION:
>  Subject: Exposure-measuring. The times shown in the viewfinder are with
the
>  same white wall (or any other target) about:
>  Program Mode:  1/60
>  Auto Mode:     1/8
>  Manual S:      1/8
>
>  No film in the camera. When I take a shot I get the times above.
>
>  How can it be that the camera has these large differences between the
>  settings? There are TWO TO THREE STEPS difference!!
>  It can't be because of the lack of film in the house?
>  I must know if there is any problems with the camera before I buy it, and
>  _I_don't_have_money_to_spend_on_taking_a_film_just_
>  _to_test_the_function. (I'm a poor student and the prices on film are high
>  in Sweden.) So please no advices to take a test film.

The difference is that in program mode the camera is setting both aperture
and shutter speed. The camera is capable of selecting any aperture wider than
the one set on the lens. Normally in program mode you should set the aperture
to it's minimum (highest F number, like 16 or 22). The program will keep the
lens wide open, trying to keep a shutter speed of least 1/60 before it begins
stopping down the lens.

>  ---> SO TO THE SECOND QUESTION:
>  In Program Mode there is some kind of "intelligent" exposure measuring
>  system.
>  In manual mode it is spot measuring in the little circle in the middle.
>  BUT IN AUTO MODE: Is it SPOT measuring there too, or is it centered
average
>  light measuring??
>  PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Auto and program modes are center-weighted, OTF exposures. There is no
"intelligent" (matrix?) metering on the OM-2S. The OM-PC has ESP metering,
but no spot capabilities.

There is a copy of the OM-2S manual at: http://www.grue.net/olydocs/

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings